Dr. Daniel Amen, psychiatrist, and founder of Amen Clinics, has written numerous books propelling him to the top of the New York Times “Best Seller” ten times. His newest book, Feel Better Fast and Make it Last, it likely to increase that number.
Dr. Amen’s passion to improve the health and lives of his patients resulted in his innovative brain studies using SPECT scans. Though he was not revered for his work initially, the years of research by him and his staff including SPECT scans of 150,000 patients have rewarded him with proof that looking at a person’s brain is the best way to help a person move toward a healthy brain and a productive life.
One of the exciting aspects of his work is discovering how many things any one of us can do to improve our brain health and life no matter what our age. Although we get older, how we age can vary a great deal and it seems evident we have a great deal of influence of what that looks like if we will take the time to discover how our choices can make all the difference.
The subtitle of this newest book, Feel Better Fast and Make It Last, is Unlock Your Brain’s Healing Potential to Overcome Negativity, Anxiety, Anger, Stress, and Trauma. The book is divided into seven parts known as the BRAIN – XL approach. Each letter in the name of the approach is the theme of one part of the book:
- Part 1: B is for Brain is comprised of 4 chapters looking at how your brain can help rescue your mind and body and includes strategies the reader can use to begin to get healthier, develop greater executive functioning to make better decisions, and learn how to make effective changes.
- Part 2: R is for Rational Mind focuses on how to feel happy and present while conquering worry and negativity.
- Part 3: A is for Attachments is comprised of two enlightening chapters on how to improve relationships and overcome trauma and grief.
- Part 4: I is for Inspiration contains information on how to live with passion and purpose.
- Part 5: N is for Nourishment has two power-packed chapters looking at how our diets can affect how we can improve brain health and overall functioning as well as the most effective choices of supplements to provide the nutrients you need.
- Part 6: X is for the X Factor highlights ten practical lessons Dr. Amen and his staff know from 150,000 brain scans
- Part 7: L is for Love reminds us that “Love is Your Secret Weapon” and looks at different types of love and its power to make all the difference.
“In order to feel better fast and make it last, it is critical to develop consistent habits and rituals over a long period of time that help build resilience. That way, when crises come, as they do for all of us, you are considerably better able to deal with them because you have the mental horsepower you need.”
Dr. Daniel Amen
Reading this book will provide you with a holistic approach to not only better brain health, but also improve and strengthen physical, relational, occupational, and spiritual aspects of your life.
I have read many other books by Dr. Amen and participated in his professional workshops as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor. This latest book adds new strategies and recommendations any layman will find informative and useful.
Feel Better Fast and Make it Last by Daniel G. Amen, MD can be found at:
To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my review.